
Sipping on one of my treats (Millstone Flavored Coffee) pretending the Boy Tornadoes are trying to sleep for their scheduled naptime (when in the back of my mind I know they are really creating an "EF2" destruction zone in there) I've been plagued for hours by the most simplistic thought... why is it that some things that speak so deeply to some people's souls (like certain songs, movies, etc) can say absolutely nothing to others? I was given a list of songs to check out (I'm always looking for new music even though for the most part I am getting older and out of touch) and so I googled lyrics and listened to iTunes samples. Most of them turned out to be Christian inspired artists whose lyrics were banal at best. I'm not generalizing and saying that ALL Christian music is that way. Even though I practice Paganism I still consider myself partially Christian and happen to love Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel" (for example) even though I'm not a Christian in the "true" sense. But sometimes I find it odd that lyrics or art that inspire or uplift so very many people do absolutely nothing for me. And this brings me to contemplate a question I've always had that I don't think could really be answered. Most Christians are taught to spread the Good News and to (at least subtly) apply conversions tactics to someone who either practices an alternative religion or is not spiritual at all. Years ago when these tactics were applied to me by well meaning friends or co-workers they would quickly mention that certain music or other things I loved couldn't co-exist with a relationship with Christ/God. In other words if my soul were "mature" or being "successfully cleansed" it would trade in my love for Nine Inch Nails or Tool (yeah, I'm still kinda stuck in the 90s) and replace it with Casting Crowns (to me these guys are the princes of banal manufactured lyrics - like McDonalds for the ears). God would change my heart.
I don't know about anyone else but to I find that depressing at best. If something speaks to my soul in a positive way (and yes, dark music or entertainment can do that!) why in the world is that a bad thing? Why would any God that chose to have a relationship with ME, or who claims to love me AS I AM want to change me?
3 comments:
I think that when it comes to spirituality, anything that resonates in our own soul is Truth for us. It's a totally subjective thing.
P.S. Don't feel bad about being stuck in the 90s. I'm stuck in the 70s. Yes, me, disco and ABBA.
"I think that when it comes to spirituality, anything that resonates in our own soul is Truth for us. It's a totally subjective thing." - That's pretty much the exact conclusion I have arrived at as I've gotten older. You've worded it eloquently. :-)
Music is music as far to me and it's all divinely inspired, even when it doesn't make sense. And forget maturity ;) If it's a good artist or a good song, than let it express who we are and damn the torpedoes or tornadoes in your case if anyone says different.
Post a Comment