Friday, February 10, 2012

An Update on Mauling... Man's Best Friend?

(Prayer altar for Chance Walker Jr.)

Remember last week when I mentioned a local news story about a toddler mauled by dogs while his parents were passed out from a meth crash?  Turns out that yesterday the parents were arrested and charged with injury to a child.

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The parents of a 19-month old child, brutally attacked by a pack of dogs in Lake Worth, have been arrested.
Thursday deputies with the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office arrested Chance Walker Sr. 26, and Patricia Walker 23. Both have been charged with Injury to a Child.
The couple was taken into custody, without incident, at a house in the 900 block of Hackamore Street in White Settlement.
Four dogs attacked little Chance Walker Jr. on January 30. The child was rushed to Cook Children’s Medical Center with serious injuries and ultimately had to undergo surgery to reattach an ear.
CBS 11 News learned that in the last year there had been eight ‘dog-related’ police calls made on animals at the address where the dog attack occurred.
Before Walker Jr. was released from the hospital, a Child Protective Services (CPS) investigation urged that the state be given temporary managing conservatorship from the parents. The request was granted.
♦♦♦Click Here To Read The Entire CPS Affidavit♦♦♦
Chance Walker Jr. remains in foster care. All four of the dogs blamed for mauling have been euthanized.
Chance Walker Sr. and Patricia Walker remain in the Tarrant County Jail, each with a $100,000 bond.
Conviction of a second-degree Injury to a Child charge is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Isn't it just too overall creepy that the "dad" in this case looks like a clone of my ex husband?   (He is also a neglectful father, but not near this bad.  And for the record this isn't what he looked like when I met him, but this is what he became).  

ANYWAY... I imagine this will be the last I hear of this until they are actually charged although hopefully there will be some some small feature piece in the future about the little boy being adopted into a permanent home or his recovery. Weirdly enough another news story came out this week about a news anchor being bitten by a rescue dog on live TV...

...and I'm going to just be honest here.  I don't like dogs.  At all.  I'm not afraid of them exactly but I don't trust them.  My father is an extreme dog lover (who always did and still does value his dogs over his children or wife) so I grew up with a lot of dogs and I loved them.  As an adult I've never had a pet dog but my children love them dearly so I'm sure in the future I'll have to bite the bullet and get them one.  I know for many people dogs truly are their best friends.   But outside of childhood I've felt no connection to this "domesticated" animal and these two examples above are a couple of good reasons why.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't trust dogs you should under no circumstance "bite the bullet" and get one for your children. A dog senses fear and knows when someone is not comfortable around them. They need a strong pack leader and a child won't cut it. I happen to be a dog lover (have had 5 in my adulthood and 2 in my childhood) and am a very strong pack leader. I don't mean to sound harsh, but as I have years of experience with dogs both personally and in rescue, this is my advice.

Yes, dogs bite. Yes, people know this. If a person brings a dog into their house they had better damn well know how to train the dog and teach others how to interact with the dog. This video (which has gone viral and I've seen dozens of times already) is a perfect example of what NOT to do to a dog. She was inches from a strange dog's face while the man was playing with his ears. There were camera men, bright lights and strange smells everywhere. Hell, I would have bitten someone at that point.

As for the news case. What a horrible and disgusting story about two horrible and reprehensible "parents". That poor child now has to fight for his life as a result of being neglected by these two drug addicted monsters. Do I blame the dogs? No. I blame the parents.

Anyway. There is nothing wrong with not trusting an animal. Hell, some animals don't trust us. To that end, I must repeat, you should not get a dog for your kids. That situation never ends well.

Take my wordy comments as you wish and know they come from my heart. A heart that has known and loved hundreds of animals who have been abused, neglected and beaten at the hands of humans.

It's about knowledge and respect. Know the dog and respect that it is an animal and has different ways than humans.

Man, when I leave these comments I'm always tempted to erase them so I don't come across all preachy.....but my word for the year is authentic, and I have to say what I have to say.

Having said everything, I hope you don't have the strong hates for me and know I am speaking from a loving place.

Anonymous said...

Also, cats scare the shit out of me. Like to the point where I can't even look them in the eye. I'm happy for cat lovers and that they are out there, but :::shivers:::: they still scare the shit out of me.

Winter Slytherin said...

Oh hey, it's cool... I totally feel you and get what you are saying. It would be quite a while before we ever got a dog because we don't have a yard... I mean, well... we have a yard but aren't allowed to have a fence. I agree with what you said about the anchor and the dog... no way I'd be getting in the face of a strange dog. I assume perhaps she has a pet dog she's used to doing this with and just didn't think. And of course I blame the parents as well on the other case. It's funny, we are reverse on this one... dogs make me uneasy but I'm a total cat lady. I have definitely come across a mean cat a time or two though.

Winter Slytherin said...

...oh... and I should say IF we ever get a dog... because if it were totally up to me I'd say no and I could win out yet on that one.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I sure hope that poor kid's life improves from now on. He's suffered enough for an entire lifetime already.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...