
Better late than never, better never late!
OK, first Diandra said:
"Hehe, know that one. I used to meet with a group of pagans in this area for some time, but then the self-proclaimed "leader" started talking about how we should perform sex magick for the next solstice, and all the others seemed to be looking forward to it and I... well, I left. It sounded more like an excuse for everybody to "get some"."
Often, when I see Pagans flock together, they seem like the proverbial "lost souls" gathering around one "leader" who, in worst case scenarios, feeds off the admiration of his/her followers. The not-so-lost pagans tend to be more solitary, less group-oriented - maybe more independent and self-sufficient? I don't know... but except for my "witch sisters" and a few very trustworthy pagans I met on the internet, I do not think too much of pagan groups.
Talking of which... I remember that the German PFI conference almost didn't take place because they had trouble raising the money... I am a paying member and didn't have the time to go, but I think it is important to have some kind of community to be represented as a group. Apart from that, there is not much to be done about everything (hardly any organized communities and stuff), and besides buying a fair share of books and tarot decks, I'd rather give money to charity than poorly organized people just because they are "fellow pagans".
(Does that sound mean?)"
I was lucky and never had the "sex magick" approach although I've had friends who went through that. I think maybe I just never got fully involved long enough in group activities for it to come up. When I first started practicing Wicca (1998) I was a waitress and I had a longtime customer who was some sort of Pagan as well and a VERY adept Reiki practitioner. For instance he could apply pressure on a stress knot in the shoulder area without touching it (don't ask me how, I have no idea). So once I was suffering from bronchitis at work and he happened to be there that day. He offered to have me come to his apartment and to do some healing work for me. Well, I was only about 23 at the time, very naive, and I guess you can see where this was going. He was much more concerned with trying to reach down my bra and steal a kiss than he was healing anything. Luckily he wasn't forceful and I was able to leave, though it was very awkward. But this wasn't really about Paganism or anything spiritual, horny people of all walks of life are always looking for "subtle" ways to get some. With what you say about the "not-so-lost" Pagans, I agree. For some the group experience is more rewarding. For others it can be rewarding too, but they find the solitary experience also rewarding and much less complicated and that's just where I happen to fall. And I agree with what you said about giving to charities as well, although in the past few years I am totally unable as I have come full circle from being comfortably middle class to being in the lower working class that qualifies for many charitable causes. :/
Debra She Who Seeks said...
"You make many excellent points but I don't think "apathy" is the root cause. Many pagans don't have one nickle to rub against another, in my observation, so of course they aren't out there spending big bucks. Among those of us who do have disposable income, the pagan community problems you mention of backstabbing, infighting and general unreliability are powerful reasons not to invest a swack of cash in other people's activities. As for books, etc. -- how many Wicca 101 books can you read before it's just "same old, same old"? I do support our local pagan store by buying as much stuff as I can there but eventually one does have everything needed. And spirituality is so much more than just buying things.
Great points! And I 130% agree that spirituality is much more than buying things. I have become (very unfortunately) one of those Pagans, no... lets just take the Pagan label out... one of those working class Americans who don't have two nickels to rub together. (My husband and I work very hard but we make very little. For me it was due to bad career and school decisions I made for myself about 5 years ago, never forseeing the crash of the Great Recession and two more surprise babies, that I landed myself in this position). I absolutely agree on the books, and that is what I went through myself! For some reason it was a little heartbreaking to me... I remember the thrill of shopping for Wicca 101 material in those first few years, and then the gradual apathy that began follow when I would find myself thinking, "I really can't apply this stuff to daily life anymore." But what I wish I could have seen (back then) was more spiritual materials dealing with practical everyday things such as: Pagans and Depression, A Pagan Approach to Body Image, and so on. I once saw a book called The Practical Pagan and in it there was advice that to be taken seriously you should be bathed and clean shaven and I thought, "Are you kidding me? If an adult needs to be reminded of this we've got a problem!"
I should clarify here that I didn't mean it to sound like that just because the Pagan community has seen a downturn in sales or contributions through the years then that means people aren't "spiritual enough" because they are no longer shelling out the cash. It's quite the opposite for me in fact. I'm taking the economy out of the equation because I noticed this "decline" about six years ago before the economy went very bad. What felt unsettling to me is that there had been a surge in the general public in interest in Earth based or alternative religions and then it seemed to drop dramatically. At that time I was going through a spiritual crisis and I wondered if the drop in interest was because so many other people had once found the path beautiful and empowering and then became disillusioned with it. I did later (after much soul searching) find my own way though.
Tamara said...
I'm from Minneapolis and I know the temple that Kallan was talking about. It is sad to say that alot of people just do not have extra money these days to donate...it's all most can do to just keep themselves afloat. And the Pagans of the past were actually a very poor group of farmers mostly, they lived simple and lived off the land. But now, Pagans come from all walks of life so I don't think the reason is just because they are "pagan". I think it's the economy and our way of life these days, which sucks. I worked at a wonderful spiritual/witchcraft shop two years ago...the owner gave me my own room and things were great. Then it just stopped...business fell so far off he had to let all of us go and he does it all himself now. Very very sad what is happening.
I kind of covered that with the comments above, and I agree. (And I liked the comment about the Pagans of the past too, I had thought that was a great point you made on Kallan's site as well.) Thanks for joining my blog, by the way!
Alrighty! After this post it is back to various rambling of whatever.
5 comments:
There's a great pagan book on body image by Diane Sylvan called "The Body Sacred" that is very worthwhile reading, if you haven't encountered it yet. And I meant no judgment on anyone who lacks nickles to rub against each other -- I spent the first half of my life in those circumstances so I know what it's like to squeeze those pennies. Blessings to you!
Oh Debra, of course I know you didn't. :-) I just didn't want to give the impression that lack of purchase = not spiritual enough. I hadn't really elaborated on that the first time. I do actually own The Body Sacred, and it is exactly what I mean by something that goes beyond Wicca 101. I had wished to see more publications like this.
I'm catching up on my blog reading too.
I fell away from the real life Pagan community years ago for almost exactly the same reasons you've stated, but I went so far as distancing myself from all things Wiccan. Too much bickering, too big of egos, too much immaturity for me to stomach.
One reason for the decline in books could have to do with the quality of books. Let's face it: the biggest Pagan publisher--Llewellyn-- is infamous for their inaccuratcies and regurgatation of the same information. I got sick of it and have sold every book.
I totally understand what you mean about liking how the Christian community stands together...I really miss that...which is one reason why I'm so glad that I found the Quakers. =)
Very true on Llewellyn, although they do have some beautiful books both in content and cover art. Bring new light on judging a book by its cover. ;-)
Over the years I sold probably 3/4 of the book collection I had. Its weird, I had more of an emotional attachment to those books than anything else because I still miss the "look" of them sitting on my shelves rather than most anything that is actually in them. Weird.
I am glad you found the Quaker community too, I love reading your posts on it.
Post a Comment